April 17, 2013

Sketches - January to March

Here are some sketches from the last few months.



The sketch on the left is one done at the Botanic Gardens. I was finishing a sketchbook that I have been using for the last few years so I did a google search relating to goodbyes and endings. The middle sketch was drawn from one of the images that came up. For the third picture, I didn't have any plan but just started to draw and a girl smelling some flowers was the result. Italy is a place that I have never been to but I would like to visit at some stage. There are certain cities I want to travel to in Italy and its probably not the most original list- Venice, Rome, Florence, Milan and Naples although I would also like to see some of the less well known places. For the image below, I did another google search- this time for Venice. One of the images that caught my eye was a painting of Venice and this was a continuous line drawing that I drew while looking at the painting.


There is a novel called The Language of Flowers that I read recently and the protagonist was a girl who used the victorian language of flowers to the people around her. This image was inspired by that idea. I drew flowers that are supposed to have certain meanings such as health and happiness and drew these. I had people in mind when drawing the flowers so it was kind of a wish for them done through a drawing- I hope that makes sense and it doesn't make me sound weird. 





These two pictures were drawn in Edinburgh. The brochure for the National Portrait Gallery for the start of the year had  a picture of Annie Lennox on the front. This was because they were going to be  doing a temporary exhibition of photographs of Annie Lennox. The first sketch was done while looking at the photo on the brochure. The second picture above was something I drew on part of the bus journey from Edinburgh city centre to the airport.

The following sketches were all done while out with the Dublin Sketchers. 


The above sketches are from paintings at Chester Beatty.


 These are from the National Gallery. The middle image was from a painting while the other two sketches are of statues in the gallery.





These are from the grounds of the Imma.  

This last picture is from Costa Coffee. I went there before one of the days at the National gallery. Italy has made another appearance as the photos on the wall are all of Italy.







No comments:

Post a Comment